Thursday, December 16, 2004

Why we write

To keep sane.

Because, if we let the thoughts that are dancing in our head have dinner and then reproduce, you know what's going to happen. Baby thoughts, teenage thoughts, pregnant thoughts, along with adult thoughts. Overpopulation. A large thought family. A recipe for craziness.

All these thoughts because I was reading Ray Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing last night. Bradbury's a genius. I've never read Farenheit 451 (I intend to, it's just not the right time yet) or any of his other books, but I can picture the kind of writing he produces. His writing is electrifying--it shocks you. Tolerable, pleasurable shocks.

In the introduction, Bradbury talks about writers need to write to keep reality from driving them crazy. You know what he's talking about if you've ever written something that was honest, when you wrote from your heart, letting the words pour out of you. Maybe some blood and tears flowed as well. You know how you felt when you wrote it and how you felt after you wrote it.

Glimpses of sanity, in an otherwise insane world.

4 Comments:

At 11:20 pm, Blogger simran said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:22 pm, Blogger simran said...

I haven't had a chance to read Zen in the Art of Writing but I would certainly agree with Mr.Bradbury
about writers needing to write to keep reality from driving them crazy. Although I wonder if a little bit of insanity helps to keep us sane as well.

Writing has certainly been a life line for me. Very theraputic, not just journal entries, although those are very helpful but just being able to express my thoughts on what I write professionally too. It gives a sense of accomplishment but it also affords you the opportunity to share with others a part of yourself.

This can be scary sometimes (for the writer or the reader), as fear of rejection comes into play at times. But I remember something you wrote some time ago, that writers crave recognition. It's part of who we are and what we need to achieve in order to continue being us.

Those who haven't experienced the joy that words and languages can bring to a person are really missing out on something wonderful. I don't know what I would do without them - probably go insane...

 
At 10:40 am, Blogger Percy said...

Zen in the Art of Writing is a wonderful book to read. It's unlike other writing books, in that the style is so different. Plus, it's actually a series of articles that Bradbury wrote over the years. He's a genius.

 
At 2:09 am, Blogger simran said...

After I finish Writing Down to the Bones, I'll get to reading Zen in the Art of Writing, then we can perhaps compare notes. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home