Friday, December 16, 2005

Letters from an unpaid writer

From the article Letters to Tehelka from an unpaid writer:
I suppose I am a fool, by Tehelka's standards anyway, to have written for you again. There are two mitigating factors: I didn't think an organisation which preaches propriety and ethics to the nation could behave so unethically; and I didn't think Tehelka would treat a fellow-professional so shabbily.

Yes, I know you've gone through hard times, but you always had a support group to fall back on. I'm a freelancer. When my father was in hospital late last year and Shoma wasn't answering my e-mails I had no such support group and I needed money. But why do I need an excuse like that to get what is my due?
If you've ever followed up for payments, you'll feel his pain. (Via The Hoot)

2 Comments:

At 10:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Percy.
You can almost hear the frustration in his words.
A pity that a paper like Tehelka would put a writer through so much agony after using his writings.
Alls well in the world of Indian journalism!!

 
At 9:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's actually a well-known journalist and was on a panel for a Writer's festival that was held in Bangalore. I'd seen him there and I've read a couple of his articles. It's hard being a freelancer in India I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home