Monday, February 28, 2005

Oscars 2005

I don't know what how I feel after this year's Oscars. I thought Chris Rock was funny but he wasn't as funny as he normally is. Maybe the criticism in the weeks leading up to the show and the time delayed telecast did affect him.

But, I was thrilled that Morgan Freeman won for Million Dollar Baby. I've not seen the movie yet but Freeman's a terrific actor and I am really happy that he won. So too with Kate Blanchett who was simply superb as Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator. I felt good that my prediction (okay it wasn't really a prediction) that Jamie Foxx would win also came true. You can't be nominated in two categories and not win an Oscar!

I felt bad for Martin Scorcese though. The Aviator is a stunning movie, a difficult story to tell, and he pulled it off with such panache that it left me marvelling at his genius. Plus, he seems like a genuinely good guy and everybody seems to like "Marty". You had to feel bad for Di Caprio too; he poured his heart and soul into The Aviator.

Maybe the next time around. The Academy has a way of making up for its past mistakes (see Renee Zelleweger and Nicole Kidman).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home