Saturday, March 05, 2005

Answers.com

I'm probably the last blogger in the universe (that's a cool blog name) to link to this site, but what the heck--if you've not heard of it, it's new to you.

Answers.com is a great site if you're looking for specific information on a particular topic, person, etc. Instead of pointing you to a bunch of links and making you sift through 321929 links (number made up) like search engines do, it takes you to a web page with information about what you're looking for. And, there are links to some sites as well.

It'll never replace a search engine, but it's great if you want to refer to something and want the information real quick. Here's what reason #3 of the 5 Great Reasons to Use Answers.com says:
Even a simple question can get you complex answers from a search engine. Nobody – but nobody – needs 8,630,400 pages that mention DNA. We save you time by providing a topic-based snapshot answer rather than thousands of pages that contain your word in some context.
I've been using it when I want specific information about something and it's been good to me so far. Try it and see if it fits your needs.

2 Comments:

At 8:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 posts makes me a regular... doesn't it?

In any case, I wanted to point out wikipedia too (which is what Answers.com seemed to quote from when I tried a query).

I have become a big fan of Wikipedia and it constantly amazes me that people are willing to put in time and effort for something that provides no tangible rewards. So far the quality is untainted by personal agenda.


http://www.wikepedia.org
-Bull

 
At 10:26 am, Blogger Percy said...

Yeah Bull, Wikipedia is pretty awesome. I think the quality is maintained because people do it out of interest as opposed to doing it as "a job". As with most of the Open Source stuff as well, if not all. Thanks for the comment, you are becoming a regular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home