Saturday, July 30, 2005

Freakonomics

A rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything, is the sub-title of the book Freakonomics. I'd heard about Freakonomics a couple of times on blogs and on best-seller lists, but I forgot about it, till I was in Premiere bookstore and someone asked for it. I asked for a copy too, just to take a look. It was intriguing enough, so I bought it.

Freakonomics is a really interesting book. The authors (Steven Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner) tell you in the beginning that the book has no unifying theme and in a sense it doesn't. It's a series of answers to questions that Steven Levitt asked. He's an economist, but an unusual one. He asks questions about parenting, about the Klu Klux Klan, about baby names, about cheating by teachers, by sumo wrestlers, and he answers them in the book.

The book's fairly easy to read, except in one or two parts where the statistics might seem a little too much. No problem, just skim over those parts. The arguments are compelling and you'll be impressed by the mind of Steven Levitt for sure. The book explains stuff beautifully and in a simple language. That for me is good writing and part of the reason that I liked the book.

Freakonomics has a website you can visit. They have a blog there and articles too, so go read all that and if you like what you read, take a look at the book.

2 Comments:

At 4:49 am, Blogger Gini said...

I happened to see your site from a comment you posted at Indigo Warp, and it seemed funny and strange that I was reading Freakonomics just few minutes prior to that.

 
At 7:07 pm, Blogger Percy said...

That is a cool coincidence! I wonder what you think of the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home